Friday 12 May 2017

~ Zoo - Final evaluation & timeplan ~



Overall i'd say this brief has been one of the most successful and enjoyable for me this year. The logo-mark for me is incredibly successful in delivering something well informed and perfect for it's environment and context within the relevant collateral produced. The final logo design is a combination logo; the symbolic element made up of a fork branching out into a tree - informed by the name, vegetarian theme and cafes interior. The addition of the logo is to link closer to the 'zoo' concept, a monkey was chosen informed by the bold wallpaper within the cafes interior. The type for the logo is Swistblnk - a hand rendered, slightly ornate style typeface. This typeface decision was informed by the community, home-made tone of voice the brand aims to portray alongside the cafes interior. 

I produced various designs for collateral I felt were key in promoting the cafes re-brand and solidifying the brand within its context/environment. Including; an introductory logo reveal animation, menu design, hand painted signage and uniform design. I will go on to promote further social media collateral as and when the client requests and also suggest the takeaway bag idea when the print budget increases.

The colour base behind the brand identity is black and white; this is partly due to a small budget and limited printing techniques. However it caused me to get more creative with ways in which I could add elements of colour and texture within the identity. For example I requested the door in which I painted the sign weren't painted a blank colour and just left natural wood; this adds to the home-made tone of voice and gives a really warm, friendly appeal from the onset. Another example being the menu design; the client has requested something he can just print himself from home cheaply; instead of adding colour through print i've considered how a light green stock could bring the zoo/vegetarian colour element to the design.

Working with a client who ultimately appreciates my creativity and shares a vision with me has been brilliant. I was given full creative freedom over what I felt was the most appropriate way of going about things which helped with my confidence loads. It's brilliant to have a place now I can go to eat amazing food and see my work in context all around me. The client has since told me the logo is being made into a stamp to brand their very own bespoke blend of coffee which is really exciting. This year I have found a real focus with live briefs; this excites me as it means I have on-going work upon leaving and a portfolio showing 'real' work apposed to concepts and mock-ups. 

I stuck to the time-scale perfectly with this brief. This was really important as each element of the design work needed to be complete and final resolutions planned for print all in time for the cafes opening date. Having to stick to a strict time scale made me push myself a lot and kept me consistent in terms of staying in contact with the client, keeping him updated.

Time plan

December 2016 - Briefed
January - Have initial logo's designed to present to client 
February - Present to client for feedback
March - Make amendments to the logo design & re-present to client
April - Create various online material, collateral design & menu design - Print menu, send logo design to be made into a stamp for the coffee, have files completed for the other collateral
May - Paint the sign for the cafe, make final amendments, finish

No comments:

Post a Comment