Sunday 2 April 2017

~ Jessy Lanza - final evaluation ~


This has been one of the most enjoyable and successful briefs of the year. The outward exposure the exhibition gave me, overall process and pressure to create something good quickly was a great challenge. The time frame in which we had to take the brief from research to completion was short. But this challenge excited me and pushed me to be extremely productive within a small space of time. The boldness of the final design/print is something very expressive of my practice and preferred way of working and will take centre stage within my portfolio. 

Having the opportunity to produce work for the Leeds Print Festival was a real pleasure as traditional print is something I have personally been passionate about for a long time. Having my name and work amongst speakers considered to be at the top of the printing field was an honour and i'm really proud of at as an achievement. One of my set aims at the begginging of the year was to create something specifically to screen print as it's a process I enjoy. I really wanted to challenge my skills in order to be able to display them at the festival and within my portfolio. I made the decision to make a four colour screen print. This was a huge challenge as getting each layer to match up with each other was difficult especially in the short time scale. But it was well worth the extra effort as the final design stood out due to it's bold colour choices and complexity. 

I feel my final design is perfectly executed and represents the context (Jessy Lanza - Oh No) perfectly. This was an opportunity for me to express who I am as a designer and how I use expression in informed but bold ways. The final design treatment was informed by a combination of critically observed elements within my research and the context of the design. I wanted the design to be very expressive in nature but still completely digital and using basic shapes/vectors due to the music production being digital & experimental.

Time plan

February - Brief, contextual research, visual research, concept development, design experiments
March - Final design, screen print, submit, hang



No comments:

Post a Comment