Saturday 29 April 2017

~ Framework - Final design production ~


I took visual inspiration from some of the initial research done into typography based poster design. I felt creating a poster using a dark background and the bold bright colours set for me by the client would look effectively bold and instantly grab the audiences attention. 




These are some additional images sent to me by the client showing some of the work that will be part of the exhibition. There is a clear theme of bright and bold colours and expressive uses of abstract shape; something that I will need to try and inform my design outcome for the posters/identity.




I started by creating the main title typography for the poster. I wanted to design the type as a completely bespoke and hand-written design for the exhibition - but I based the types base design on the typeface VAG rounded - this typeface is rounded and really friendly in appearance due to its lack of harsh strokes - it instantly communicates peace and love which is the base concept behind the exhibition itself. I also chose to curve the composition of the type as I feel its further representative of this friendly and charitable meaning.

I used a Wacom tablet to draw out the title font using 4 bold colour choices that I took from the designs created for the previous posters sent to me by the client. I fragmented each letter in a 'patchwork' and un-even way suggestive of the togetherness of the women community within leeds and how artists are coming together to help them raise money. It creates this hand made, hand crafted and personal aesthetic informed by the concept. 

I added small shapes and patterns around the type in a confetti fashion - this informed by the abstract, bright, shape based aesthetic of the work actually in the exhibition itself.


I next decided to create a simple illustrative symbol of the iconic old red bus - informed by the exhibitions location. Sticking to the hand drawn and simple shape/pattern theme I had produced when illustrating the title typography.


This is an initial composition experiment for a portrait poster design - I planned to make both a portrait and landscape version to show how the identity could translate well onto different formats and types of varying media. 



I began to experiment with the landscape version as I felt the title type fitted much better in this composition within a landscape format. 


I developed the design further and further until I came up with this final landscape design. I composed the bus within the poster (adding a hint of road). I then added the additional content that the client asked for on the poster within the empty space. I wanted the type and image to all be fitted close together as I feel this represents the togetherness of the concept and it well informed and shows critical awareness. All type has been hand written to further this personal connection that the exhibition has to real people and the connection I personally feel to the cause. 

Keeping in with the theme I added slight hints of pattern around the main type and image composition to hi-light the theme of colour, shape and abstraction represented well in the exhibitions artists. 


I felt it was a good idea to create a portrait formatted poster alongside the landscape one; so the identity could be used in a range of different places depending what looked best/deemed most appropriate by the client. It also shows how the type can be translated into different compositions and still be effective. 

The title type still being at the top of the type/information hierarchy hense being the main focus of the poster design.


The client requested an additional version of the poster without the description to be used on digital media such as Facebook. 





These images show how the individual letters appear at a large size; once printed at a3 this will be more visible. It'll make the audience really appreciate the hand rendered base for the design and also hi light the fine art/illustration work that will be most of the exhibition itself.


This image is just a quick mock-up showing what the final posters will look like in print; also showing how the theme/brand identity has been consistent throughout and works across these different formats. 



Because alongside the posters, the only other promotion the client is budgeted for is online/via social media; I felt it was appropriate to make a really simple yet bold gif using the hand rendered title typeface. It instantly grabs your attention and will make an audience instantly drawn to the bright illustrative style and want to know more about the exhibition.



These final images just show how the images have been applied over the relevant social media platforms - Twitter and Facebook. The twitter header was edited to just include the background and the bus because of it's un-usual format and the Facebook features the landscape design without the yellow type. 



No comments:

Post a Comment